While Vamos will follow a similar model as other online campaigning organisations, we believe that to be successful in a European context, we have to stress two points:
We need to live and embrace diversity. Different cultures and languages will be important. Key positions in Vamos will be held by Europeans from different regions and cultures across Europe. We will not have a strong centralised office (especially not in Brussels, Berlin or London). From the very beginning, the core of Vamos will live mainly in individual countries, not in the Brussels bubble. We will start in at least four languages and add more later.
We need to commit to credibility. Many activists only learn about the issues we work on through our emails, as EU issues are widely underreported in the mainstream media. To gain and keep their trust, we have to make sure the facts we use are accurate. This is only possible through close, collaborative relationships with partners, especially NGOs, in Brussels and in the Member States. We acknowledge that we are not experts in all the important issues on which we will campaign.
Come back for more information on things like:
- TTIP – the treaty that the EU and the US are signing behind closed doors. The European Commission must act in accordance wit what is best for citizens, rather than corporations.
- The growing demand for bio products must set an example of development through organic agriculture. Food safety is of a great importance for all Europeans and the contamination with gmo – genetically modified organism must never be an issue here.
- Climate change, renewable energy and the fight against nuclear power are going to be a main point of focus for us and the campaigns we will run.
- Corporate power will be monitored and by no means it should increase but rather be a concept in history books.
- The Council of Ministers, the European Commission, the European Parliament are all institutions of the European Union that will be targeted by out campaigns.
- We will follow social issues such as the gay pride movement, mare nostrum, the stray dogs situation, animal rights and many others.
- Subject to a petition sent to relevant institutions will be internet privacy and the Edward Snowden case will closely be monitored
- News from member countries interest us, especially emerging political forces like, podemos and syriza.
- The way in which the troika decides to intervene should be subject to an eci – European Citizens' initiative.
The first campaign will be launched very soon. Fill in your email adress so we can keep you posted.